Wednesday, November 03, 2004

OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Today I was thinking about the line "other duties as assigned" as listed in a job description. Not like I have a real job description, but I really get chafed by that phrase. It's not like I'll be saying, "That's not in my job description" when the secretary asks me to help her bring a box of paper in from her car. It's not like I'll stop being the only recycler in the building. It's not like I'll all-of-a-sudden stop helping out. But what chafes me is that sometimes that phrase gets put in as an excuse to change the job description without notice. For example, I have become the defacto computer person in the office. I don't know squat about computers except what I've learned from having a PC on my desk for years (I got my first one in 1984, and I paid $200 for its beautiful extended basic and 64k RAM). But I sometimes end up working on computers instead of doing my job or answering my calling. I end up moving band equipment instead of working on my sermon. I end up blogging instead of... whoops, I guess I'd better get back to work.

No comments: