Monday, April 11, 2005

Where Did It Go?

The time, that is. It seems like yesterday I was preparing for the insane weekend of April 2-3. Then, all of a sudden, the next week has come and gone, and what do I have to show for it? I know I did some fun things; I went to Cincy and had dinner with Garrick, David G. came into town and we had lunch, I took Rob out to celebrate his ordination, but the week is gone...

I felt like yesterday was a rush; I wasn't spiritually ready for a Sunday morning, not to lead in one, anyway. It's the kind of a day that on my own, I'd probably have opted to sleep in. Nah, who am I kidding? I'm hardwired to equate "Sunday morning" with "getting up for church services." But I probably would have sleepwalked my way through it.

In Sunday school, my lesson really went a different way than I had planned it. It ended up going the route of "It's sometimes hard to be a Christian" and I had the kids equate it to being sometimes hard to do other things (they made a connection that being a Christian day in and day out takes practice, just like sports and playing an instrument, and that sometimes it's boring and sometimes it's repetitive, but that's how you learn the basics of anything. "Practice makes permanance" said one kid...

...which makes me glad that I didn't just go through the motions, but really worked to focus and to listen to the Holy Spirit lead. It made the day a lot better (even when I made reservations at the wrong bowling alley and we ended up driving all over town).

No comments: