Monday, October 03, 2005

My Birthday

Well, as most of you know, I'm another day older, but the day in question just happened to be my birthday. Initially I wasn't very happy about my birthday falling on a Sunday, because Sundays were always so insane for me. I felt worse about it when we were scheduled to have a cluster Church Conference this Tuesday (we got a reprieve since I'm new here).

As it was, I had enough fun Saturday night with the soccer game that I was OK with Sunday being Sunday. David and Renae were coming for a visit, so that was going to be awesome. I kept looking out in the congregation, waiting for them to show up, but they didn't, and I was surprised when they weren't at the house when I got home. That's when Tara told me that they had called; they had been up all night fighting a fire (they're part of their fire department) and didn't get to bed until 7:30 am.

But anyway, the church service went really well. I did a couple of things differently than normal -- during prayer time, I had everyone get a partner and pray for that person. It seemed to go really well.

Then I gave Communion the central billing in the service; partly to honor "World Communion Sunday" and partly just to honor God through Communion with Him. Then I preached on Spiritual Gifts, and it went well.


After church, we went to the Minster Oktoberfest parade. It was fun, but it was long. We were there for 2 hours and the end was not yet in sight. Jonathan loved waving at all the firetrucks and tractors. After that, I hurried out and played a relaxing 2 hours of pick-up soccer (well, it was tiring, but it was at a much more relaxing pace than Saturday night!)

All in all, I had a great birthday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to mention, of course, all the requisite phone calls from the fambly, none of which came at midnight. How nice we have gotten as we get older...