Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Little Light Reading

Unlike my other usual writing (which usually takes the form of sermons or e-mails), this medium exists for me to write about myself: my views, experiences, and so forth are the fodder for rumination here. Therefore, when I find a personality test (even one that tells me I'm Uncle Rico), I'll take it and put the information here for everyone's amusement.

Thus when my sister publicly calls me out to write about books, I had to take the bait.
  1. One book that changed my life: I would be silly to narrow it down to one. First and foremost, however, would be the Bible. Duh, you might think. Pastor Brian gives the Sunday School answer. But it's true. But besides the Bible, I would have to include The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen.
  2. One book that I have read more than once: Besides the Bible, Pelé's My Life and the Beautiful Game would be that book. This book was key in developing my love for soccer and for its greatest player. I read this book until it literally fell apart (then I held it together with a rubber band until it disintegrated). A Confederacy of Dunces is also in this category (I'm on my second copy of it).
  3. One book I would want on a desert island: I feel repetitive, but I'd want the Bible. In fact, there have been times in the life of this blog that I've felt like I've been in the desert, and I've drawn much comfort from the Bible. But if I couldn't have the Bible, I think I'd want I Was Just Wondering by Philip Yancey. It really makes one think. Or perhaps Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard (they really have imitation Cliff's Notes for this? I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen! This is a book that I need a lot of time to read, simply because the word pictures are so complete and provoking that I can't just Vinson-read through it).
  4. One book that made me laugh: A Confederacy of Dunces. Definitely. And just about anything by Bill Bryson.
  5. One book that made me cry: Again, the Bible. But beyond that, Nicholas Walterstorfff's Lament for a Son made me weep. It's Walterstorff's memories and experiences surrounding his son's accidental mountain climbing death. No light reading here.
  6. One book I wish had been written: I would love to have written a book about my childhood, and if I did, I would weave in all sorts of crazy stories of things I imagined, except in the book, they would all have really happened. So, for example, I really would have had a talking mouse named Weekie and a talking wolf named Wolfie living in the house. And there would have been break-ins in our house almost nightly. heheheh
  7. One book I wish had never been written: Besides the obligatory Marvin N. Carr reports, I wish Ed McBain had never written anything. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  8. One book I am currently reading: Well, erm, right now I have the United Methodist Hymnal open on my desk, but I swear I was just picking out the hymns for Sunday! And please note, this isn't The Faith We Sing, otherwise known as The Songs Nobody Sings (it's the supplement to the UM Hymnal with "new" music that nobody knows). I'm reading a David Baldacci book as well, and Color Your World with Natural Church Development. Of course, I'm reading the Bible.
  9. One book I have been meaning to read: It's about time I read the Bible cover to cover again. And I'm never "meaning" to read anything -- if I want to read something, I read it. I might read Walter Wangerin's The Book of God again sometime soon, and the Myth of the 200 Barrier by Kevin Martin is on my professional list.
  10. This is supposed to be the "tag five people" part, but I refuse to tag. However, if you are really a Christian, you'll forward this to everyone you know (just kidding).

No comments: