Tuesday, August 28, 2007

From the Pencils of Babes

In
my sermon on Sunday, in a bit of self-disclosure, I mentioned that I am afraid of horses.

I mentioned that my sister always loved horses (no, I didn't mention the fact that I oscillated between pretending to love horses and suggesting her favorite horse, the one she called "Cappy," might be the next course at a fictional restaurant (I believe created by Bob and Tom back before they were a nationally syndicated morning show - when their juvenile humor was only available in a 50-60 mile radius of Indy) called "Burger Pony"), and I admitted that they scare me. They're really big and they can kick really hard and I don't want to get bitten by one of them (I did tell the congregation that I've never been kicked or bitten by one).

So anyway, after the service, one of the kids in attendance (Brianna) brought me her children's bulletin, on which she had drawn me a picture.

You can (hopefully) see the picture to the left - complete with the inscription:
To Brian: Horses are SAFE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deep dark secret: I'm a little scared of real horses too, if I'm not on the other side of the fence from them. Sometimes before I got pregnant with Mark I was assigned to work "Agriculture" in 1886 at the Prairie, and I would have to lead a horse in for grooming and feeding and such, and she (the horse) ALWAYS knew who was in charge (NOT me) and did stuff like walking me into the wall and scooting over to the side of the stall and leaving me trapped.
And when we were in the pasture scooping up poo, I got nervous when they headed my way...

Big Mama said...

A little, healthy fear is OK! Me too.

How very sweet of that child to encourage you! And nice to hear that you are new "Brian" and not Rev.

Rev.Dulce said...

I grew up on a horse ranch in Northern New Mexico. I've been riding before I could even walk and even I have a healthy respect for the power of a horse. Not scared but definitely never casual. People who are casual get hurt.

I was in the military for five years and used to run but quit when I got out. How would you recommend an out-of-shape old lady to get back into the game?