Thursday, May 22, 2008

Clergy Session (formerly known as the executive session)

On Wednesday, all of the clergy in the West Ohio Conference trekked to Columbus Convention Center for our annual Clergy Session. Apparently this used to take place at Lakeside during Annual Conference, but due to an obscure ruling, it had to move. Thus we were in Columbus. Thankfully (with the price of gas and the fact that I've already used up all my continuing ed/travel money for the 1/2 year), I was able to carpool with some nearby clergy so at least I wasn't by myself...

There was one redeeming factor in the whole day. Well, besides the fact that I'd brought my own cooler of ice-cold drinks with me (no, not that kind of drinks - though it might have made the day a little, well, different!). That was the fact that I now know some interesting and fun people in the Conference. So while people blathered on about rules and regulations, I hung out in the back and talked with them.

Even though the main speaker had some good information, the rest was a waste of time. And YIPPEE, we get to do it all again on a bigger, longer scale at Lakeside in a few weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While you certainly do seem to have a "feel" for the ministry and find fulfillment as a pastor, it seems to me that have a lot of discontentment with the bureaucracy of your particular denomination (this observation is based solely on your blog posts as I do not know you personally). I wonder why you stick with it, rather than striking out with a more independent movement.

Rev.Dulce said...

These meetings are an interesting paradox, both good and bad. You get to visit with good friends and sit through a clergy session. Good and Bad, Yin and Yang....

I was more interested in the fact that you changed your font color to purple.........bureaucracy is here to stay but color changes indicate some other change............. do tell!!!

Brian Vinson said...

eh,the color change was just to do something different since I didn't have any interesting pictures for the post.

As for the "anonymous" question - that's a good question. I do like the connection that the denomination affords and the protection for both the local congregation as well as for the pastor...