Monday, October 11, 2010

Throwing a Taper Tantrum

Through the past 16 weeks, I have been in marathon training mode. That meant pushing my distance up - I put in four twenty mile runs (along with my almost-daily nines).  Not only have I put in the distance, but I've ramped up the pace as well.  But as the marathon approaches, I have moved into taper mode.  And I'm not sure my body knows what to do with it!

I'm not the only one who has ended up dealing with knee issues. I'm hoping that it's nothing, but just to be safe, I visited my chiropractor (and will be back on Friday) for an adjustment. But I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the taper.  I didn't run today, and tomorrow's plan is 3 slow miles - mileage which my cross-country coach called "hardly worth getting your gear on."

My training has been good - I feel better prepared for this run than I have ever been - though the 7:30 start time is closer to my usual finish time for my training. I am looking forward to meeting some of the Run Dailymile Columbus runners for some pasta and for the race.  And I am looking forward to getting on the race course and seeing how well I do!  In the meantime, I'm throwing a bit of a taper tantrum.

No comments: