Tuesday, February 15, 2011

17:18

Sometimes the best things you take home from a conference come from the conference bookstore. When I was in Minnesota for the Powerful Life of the Praying Pastor conference, they gave us coupons for their bookstore, which I happily used. As I browsed through the available books, I found some unusual journals. I've been using my journal to walk through the Bible, chapter by chapter, but these journals are a little different.

They are called 17:18, taken from Deuteronomy 17:18 - which is talking about rules for the king of Israel.
When he takes the throne of his kingdom, he is to write for himself on a scroll a copy of this law, taken from that of the Levitical priests.
So the journal is laid out like this: on the right page, there is space for me to re-write the scripture, verse by verse. On the left page is space for notes. There are a few leading questions, but not many. It's mostly just blank.

Though the Deuteronomy instructions were meant for the king, I think they are good instructions for any Christian. Writing the scriptures out is a good exercise for retention and understanding. I just started my first journal yesterday (in Colossians, the book my Bible study is going through), and I'm looking forward to continuing it!

*Disclaimer: I bought these journals with my continuing education money. Though I got a $5 off coupon from the conference, the 17:18 makers didn't give me anything for this review. It was just a product I felt drawn to and have been enjoying.

2 comments:

D.M. SOLIS said...

Oh, I just love this post. This has happened to me too, a number of times. Grateful for those blessed bookstores, for the insights waiting for us there. Peace and all good,

Diane

Sam Oh said...

Terrific blog, I love it! Consider me a new follower!