Monday, April 21, 2014

Mizuno Wave Sayonara Review

Notice that When my favorite training shoes (Asics Sky Speed) were discontinued, I had to find a new go-to high mileage trainer. The Facebook group "Running Shoe Geeks" overwhelmingly pointed me to the Mizuno Wave Sayonara. 

I was in Columbus and stopped in Roadrunner Sports and they did a whole gait analysis and determined that, yes, Sayonara would be a good match. But they didn't have any. 

Finally after waiting a while, I found a pair online (no discount) and bought them. As soon as they arrived, I wore them on a quick run. I loved them. No break-in time. Fit was amazing. Firm underfoot but not clunky. And fast. Did I mention that I felt fast in them?

The problem is with durability. Not only is the upper frayed and tearing all along the little plastic lining around the toe, but the rubber on the heels is toast. Compared to my Sky Speeds with double the mileage. Notice that the rubber is gone on the Sayonaras (330 miles) while it is just worn on the Sky Speeds (650 miles)

2 comments:

Jenny R. Sherrill said...

This is the problem I had with shoes with that texture of sole for the guys -- especially Mark -- and that's just for normal boy play. That very-light sole stands up to absolutely nothing. Sigh.
Boy, that's disappointing -- you'd really looked forward to these. What's next?

Brian Vinson said...

Next is Saucony Kinvara. I have heard all kinds of good things about them and have two pairs, just raring to go.