Monday, January 05, 2004

This morning I thought I would write about yesterday's services and maybe why I don't like our normal Sunday morning sservices. I was in charge of preaching all 4 services -- I couldn't even tell them all the main points I wanted to at 8:00 (I was so glad Paul covered for me by playing an extra prelude!). But preaching those services is OK; it's just all the other stuff. Why do we do both an "opening prayer" and an "invocation"?? Why? because that's what's in the bulletin. Which is another complaint. Why a "bulletin"? It just serves to give people something to read during the sermon. WHich is another rant -- I hate the word "sermon." It makes my skin crawl. Let me tell you something boring and invasive; that's what the word "sermon" says to me. maybe I'm alone in this. Maybe it's because I've heard too many bad ones Maybe I'm just cranky all the time ;-) Don't get me wrong; I think the central part of a service should be the Bible and teaching from and expounding on the scriptures. But the idea that it always has to be someone standing on a platform in front of all the people, yammering away, telling us what to do and how to feel and interspersing boring or lame jokes (or downright offensive ones -- the ones making fun of the youth or the family). That's what I hate...

No comments: