Sunday, October 24, 2004

I had a good talk with my friend Chad yesterday, and it's refreshing to know that I'm not alone. I'm not the only youth pastor who gets complained at because someone's kid isn't having enough fun in middle school youth group. I'm not the only one who struggles to find time to relax after youth retreats, who has a hard time getting away from the ministry. I'm not the only one who wishes that people wouldn't grill me on aspects of the church when we're out at social functions...

And on to that one... [rant mode on] if you were a dentist, would I ask you to check out my teeth while we're at a bar watching Monday Night Football? OK, then. Now, I don't mind having theological discussions. I don't mind that at all. I even don't mind if you ask me about my stance on Issue 1 (that's the proposed ban on same-sex marriage) while we're watching the game. I don't mind if you ask me about my thoughts on the Da Vinci Code. But don't grill me about petty stuff like the kind of music we're going to play in worship service. I mean, come on! I'm in the praise band. I have a bias toward that sort of music. Just because we don't do it right now during Sunday morning doesn't mean that I think we shouldn't. In fact, I think it's more valuable right now than ever before! So before you start complaining to me that you hope the screen and projector are never used to project song lyrics, maybe think about the fact that I have no control in those matters, and if I did, the projector and screen would be used exclusively for that! Think about the service I was in charge of for three years... [rant mode off]

And that's all I'm going to say about that. my mom told me if I didn't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all, so my nice thing is: All the people who live in Utherica RULE!

No comments: