Friday, January 21, 2005

A Soccer Story

In some good news, I got to play soccer last night (indoor, obviously). It was really fun; I've taken to praying before the games that I would have fun, but that above all, that God would be glorified through my game. Since my team is wearing blue, I got the chance to wear a soccer jersey I picked up last year at YS -- one with Ichthus (in Greek) spelled out on it.

At halftime, a guy on my team asked me what it meant. Now, remember that besides two guys on the team (who attend my church), I had just met everyone there. I told him it was Greek and it stood for Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior, and that I wear the shirt to keep me centered, especially since I tend to get a bit heated during soccer games.

Later in the game, I ran onto a free ball about 15-20 yards out and hit a long chip shot perfectly into the goal over the sprawling goalie's outstretched arms. The guy I was talking to said, "I think you've got other reasons for wearing the shirt!"


In less important matters, we won the game, I scored a hat-trick, and it was a lot of fun.

No comments: