Monday, February 14, 2005

Some Random Thoughts for a Monday Night

I was thinking today about some things that boggle my mind (no, not about parking in a driveway and driving on a parkway). I was thinking about a church that says it values certain things but never actually does them. Take, for example, a church that includes as a subtitle to its name something like: A Church in the Wesleyan Evangelical Tradition. Q: what in the world does that mean? It's insider terminology that means "We certainly aren't liberal!" but to an outsider it means: nothing. Which makes me think about the word "evangelical." Doesn't that mean something like of or pertaining to the Good News? Which might lead one to believe that a church using that as its subtitle might actually work on evangelism. Which might mean that people are empowered to tell others about God and Jesus and the Bible and even invite them to church. But our church, which had that as its subtitle, seemed to take it to mean: our pastor is on the Council on Evangelism, so we don't have to do anything ourselves.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking further about my Myers-Briggs type. I have taken these tests multiple times ever since I was in college (I think the first time I took one was when I went to Russia in 1993). It's never changed (though sometimes the percentiles I get end up different). Funny that when I was in Russia, all the leaders were ISTJ and I was ENFP. One of the reasons I got in trouble. One of the reasons I made such close friends with fellow students on the trip (though I had to have been a leader's nightmare -- wandering off with a new Russian friend to play basketball, cruising around Nizhny Novgorod with someone unknown to the program...).

ENFP - "Journalist". Uncanny sense of the motivations of others. Life is an exciting drama. 8.1% of total population.
Free Jung Word Test (similar to Myers-Briggs)
personality tests by similarminds.com

I really was going somewhere with this, but I have no idea where it was. It's past my bed time and my mind is gone. I'm listening to online radio, and that last band had a singer that I swear sounded like a gay male Tina Turner. Now I think I'm listening to The Alarm. That's a blast from the past.

No comments: