Monday, August 08, 2005

3x3 Tournament

This past Saturday I participated in the "Lima Soccer Universe 3rd Annual 3-on-3 soccer tournament." A couple of guys who I play pick-up soccer asked me to play with them, so I was more than happy to oblige. When I got there, I found that our first game wasn't for an hour. That meant I could check out the competition. Except that I didn't see any other over 30 teams there. There were tons of kids' teams, and lots of teenagers and college students, but very few over 30s. Mind you, when I was 18,19,20, I swore I'd never play on an over 30 team, but being over 30, I actually like it. Hey, don't laugh. Mind you, my two teammates are both over 40.

Anyway, we asked about it and we were told, "There weren't enough over 30s to play, so we rolled you guys in with the men's league." Meaning we got to play those college students. The first game we got killed. It wasn't pretty at all. The second game (against college boys), we lost, but at least it was respectable. It wasn't until our 3rd game that we got to play against our peers, and we won. The score was close, though the game itself wasn't. Our final game, against other (younger) guys from the Sunday pick-up game, was decent, as well, though we lost again.

All in all, besides the first game, it was a lot of fun.

No comments: