Tuesday, April 04, 2006

But it was Free! (All Apologies to the Purple Cat)

I never expected to find what I did today on the free book table at United (not to be confused with the "free and steal" table at Asbury).

In the past I glanced through the books and found what I was expecting to find - mostly extremely outdated inspirational types of books and some really questionable others. Included in the stack were many volumes of "Horizons - the Theological Journal of Villanova University" from the 80s and 90s. Those were probably the most recent publications (and, who knows, maybe the most interesting, too).

Nothing I had seen there was worth even a "but it was free" comment. I had even stopped looking at the table. Yesterday, however, I got to class a few minutes early, so I glanced down at the book table. After looking past a Shuller book and some old Bible study - looking paperbacks, I saw a gem. There, as a nugget of gold hidden deep in a pile of offal, was "A Confederacy of Dunces" - one of the best.books.ever.

And it was free!

No comments: