Tuesday, June 24, 2008

More on the Move

(huh huh huh, I said "more on") I found a little peace and quiet amongst the piles of books in my office and now it's time to blog.

On Monday, we picked up the U-Haul, and bright and early on Tuesday morning, Jeffrey and Riese (two boys from the confirmation class) showed up to help us move. Shortly thereafter, the soccer team and Coach Luthmann came. Now, as a clarification, the "receiving" church gets to pay moving bills; before you attack my new church for "doing it on the cheap" this was our choice. We have had professional movers move us twice, and both times things got broken and both moves were very expensive. When Coach Luthmann offered the help of the soccer team to load the truck, we decided that would be the way we'd go. They did it without charge (though the MUMC made a donation to the soccer program, and, quite honestly, it was one of the more lucrative fundraisers for the time they spent at work).

The soccer team did excellent and fast work (and had a lot of time to goof around, too - this was aided by the case of Mountain Dew I bought them for fuel). Then it was time to hit the road.

Jonathan rode with me in the truck, and Andrew rode with Tara in the car (along with all our musical instruments and our TV).

When we arrived at Millersport, we were greeted by lots of people; they were just finishing some work in the parsonage kitchen (installing all new cabinets and a new range). Then the hoardes started showing up! The Millersport football team came to help us move in!

I met a ton of people, and I hope to remember some names.

It's hard to believe that this all happened a week ago! Since then, we've had several visitors stop by, we've gone to Lancaster several times (including for a great picnic in Rising Park - where I spent a lot of time last year with the boys while Tara was playing at the Lancaster Festival), and I ran a 5K race in Lancaster (time: 21:31). I'll post sometime with results and pictures, but they didn't have results posted yet and didn't give out any age-group prizes, so I'm not sure where I ranked.

We also went to Thornville's safety day, where we saw firetrucks, police cars, a helicopter, and two very excited little boys. Again, pictures are forthcoming. It's tough not having internet access at home yet.

We went to church on Sunday and met more people. I'm looking forward to certain aspects; others are a little daunting!

I've been running all around town, which is fun. It's nice running around the lake, and I've even found some hilly areas to run in.

That's about it for now...

No comments: