Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Minneapolis

This town is really cool. No, though the temperatures are really cold, that wasn't what I was talking about. I'm talking about how well this city does at snow removal. Not only did I see plows on the streets and those brush-things that drive up and down, brushing the snow off the sidewalks, but there were entire crews hand-shoveling sidewalks. They even went so far as to clear off the running/biking path along the Mississippi River.

I thought I was crazy to be out for a run in the temperatures we are having here, but I found that I wasn't the only one. I saw several runners out (more in the snow Monday evening than in the frigid, though sunny, noon-day Tuesday), braving the weather for a run. Though I can understand why; the alternative is the dreadmill for half the year. And there were plenty of bicyclists who brave the weather year-round. But I never had to be outside if I didn't want to. The hotel is connected to the convention center via walkway. There is a pool and a pretty nice-sized fitness room in the hotel and there are multiple eateries in the hotel and the convention center (though you end up paying for the convenience).

But if you do go out, bus stops are lighted and heated. And they come complete with signs telling you when to expect your bus. And the trail along the Mississippi River seems to go on forever. This is one cool town.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

they have snow removal down to a science in mn. they have to...otherwise the city would be shut down for half the year. LOL. glad you are enjoying your stay!

Brian Vinson said...

So true, Melanie.