Thursday, April 14, 2011

Seeing Jesus

Today the weather was perfect, and I worked through lunch so I could get out and enjoy it. I decided to go for a run on the canal trail to Hebron, planning on a 10 miler. When I got to the 5 mile mark, I had already decided to push it to a half marathon, meaning I'd go through Hebron (to the end of the sidewalk) and turn around. As I was coming around the corner into town, I passed a woman walking, pushing a wheelchair. I thought it was a stroller first, but then I realized it was a wheelchair, and in it was a boy, probably a young teenager (at oldest). I passed them by, but they made me think...

...after I'd hit the turn-around, I saw them again, still heading in the same direction. But they turned down a side street and I kept running. Except I needed to talk to them. So I stopped my stopwatch and ran after them. I first spoke to the woman, thanking her for taking care of someone with special needs. I don't know if she was his mother or just a caretaker, but for some reason, it touched me how she was walking with him in the beautiful weather. I told her that when I saw her caring for him, I saw Jesus working through her.

Then I turned to him and greeted him and introduced myself and made a comment about the weather, and his face was radiant. His smile was ear-to-ear, and his eyes lit up. And when I looked into them, I was looking into Jesus' eyes.

I know why I ran when I did. And I know why I stretched it into a half marathon. It was because I was supposed to. God wanted me to do it, so I would see His Son.

2 comments:

Kym Klass said...

God puts us in places sometimes, doesn't He? Thanks for sharing this, Brian. I'm sure your outreach went far beyond just the greeting you provided ...

Adam said...

I love these kind of events, when we are just going about our daily lives and an opportunity comes that we see Him in others. For me, I tend to be running around too much to take in most of the opportunities. Thanks for sharing.